Register

Welcome to the SEOSunite - Elite Internet Marketing & SEO Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

godmodehost1

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: September 2012 - The Death of EMDs :(

Thanks
    This is a bit O/T, but that patent mentions the following paragraph:

Server 120 may obtain a list of competitive queries (act 410). In some instances, it may be very profitable for a company to show up at the top (or near the top) of a list of search results. As such, it is common for companies to continually transmit search queries to a search engine, such as search engine 125, using those phrases and/or keywords for which they desire their advertisement or web site to appear. In this manner, the companies can check to see where their advertisement or web site appears in relation to their competitors. Server 120 may form the list of competitive queries by identifying those company queries (e.g., queries used to check search engine rankings) since those queries contain phrases and/or keywords that are important to those companies.
    In other words, part of the way they monitor whether a query is commercial or not is how many bot searches they get from SEOs checking rankings for given terms! Which they then store in a database.

Jim
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    This is a bit O/T, but that patent mentions the following paragraph:

In other words, part of the way they monitor whether a query is commercial or not is how many bot searches they get from SEOs checking rankings for given terms! Which they then store in a database.
    now that's interesting

Thanks
    I think it was mentioned once already in this thread, but just wondering if anyone else is seeing any issues with domain names that contain the word "review" in them?

I don't have any exact match domains, but i do have a domain name that has the word "review" in it, and my traffic for that site is gone.

Anyone else notice any issues with "review" domains?

Thanks
    I have a few EMD's with review as the last word some are non hyphened and some are hyphened ... No noticable changes at all
    Space for Rent | Space for Lease | Space for Trade |Space for Something

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoke For This Useful Post:

coop99 (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Yeah, no reviews on one of mine that got it. It wasn't even an exact match domain actually. The exact matches held on, even some I had with parking pages.

Jim
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I had several that were not EMD's but I think the problem was the age of the domain and the way the keywords were used.

If you had www.blahkeyword1.com and then www.blahkeyword1.com/keyword2 or www.blahkeyword1.com/keyword2-keyword3 then you set off the commercial spam flag

Thanks
    My domain was set up as a category.com/productname, so for example:

carpartreviews.com/productname

So no exact match domain, and i was getting lots of long tail traffic that suddenly ended. So something on my site set off some kind of filter, just not sure what it was yet.

Thanks
    I wouldn't say that is 100% true.

I have keyword1blah.com/keyword2 that still ranks (#1 on the main term, page 4 on another)
    I have keyword1blehs.com/keyword2.html that disappeared. (Sitewide disappearance except keyword1 blehs - #8, was #4.)

The disappearing site dropped for all terms. Very weak linkbuilding on both but certainly spammy. Roughly the same age, 4-5 months.

Jim
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by audioman1 View Post
    I wouldn't say that is 100% true.

I have keyword1blah.com/keyword2 that still ranks (#1 on the main term, page 4 on another)
    I have keyword1blehs.com/keyword2.html that disappeared. (Sitewide disappearance except keyword1 blehs - #8, was #4.)

The disappearing site dropped for all terms. Very weak linkbuilding on both but certainly spammy. Roughly the same age, 4-5 months.
    nobody knows what's 100% true or not since there is no rhyme or reason as to why some sites got hit or didn't. What I'm basing my statement on is what cutts said about intersecting keywords and how putting those words together in the search results would throw the flag

your keywords ranking is just a roll of the dice

you also have to realize that no matter what google says, they rolled out SEVERAL algo changes that day and didn't say anything

1. image searches got tweaked
    2. EMD
    3. intersecting keywords

I don't think the EMD was such a big deal but when combined with the keywords it explains why some sites got hit whereas others didn't. Also from what I read when a site was scanned, it checked what pages you had built based on what keywords and matched that back to your domain. My opinion on this is that if you had a higher percentage of keyword titled articles (that had search terms) and low or no articles that had no keyword searches for then that was also a factor.
    Last edited by Jim; 10-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim For This Useful Post:

audioman1 (10-05-2012),Smoke (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    I have a 100% EMD to which I'm only sending the dirtiest spam ever, and rankings improved after the latest update.
    I have a "brand" kind of domain, which was white hat, with awesome really long content, tons of pictures, videos, etc., which got shared a lot on social networks, lots of real natural links on related forums from people that I don't know, that got blasted out of top 500 for 99% of its keywords (long tails included). Traffic is 20% of what it was.

Conclusion : Google can go choke on a cock.
    Jim, malphas and raas like this.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast