Register

Welcome to the SEOSunite - Elite Internet Marketing & SEO Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

godmodehost1

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: September 2012 - The Death of EMDs :(

Thanks
    It seems like google builds in a randomness factor to their algorithm tweaks. So it will handle 90% of EMD's one way and then with 10% do something different.

Definitely makes it harder to reverse engineer with confidence.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Also from what I read when a site was scanned, it checked what pages you had built based on what keywords and matched that back to your domain. My opinion on this is that if you had a higher percentage of keyword titled articles (that had search terms) and low or no articles that had no keyword searches for then that was also a factor.
    Hmmm, you might be on to something here. All my sites survived and most only have 5-10 pages of content (so you'd think I'd be considered "thin" in Google's eyes). However the majority of my articles don't target specific keywords, nor do they have any commercial intent. The only page with commercial intent is my homepage....the rest of the inner pages are strictly there to give useful information to visitors.

Thanks
    Two of my emds have also been slapped, waiting for new developments to see what happens next. An end to all emds may or may not be what they intend. While the majority of emds have been affected, it does seem like quite a few survived. Would they be next or are there certain things that they are doing right which those of us who have been affected should emulate? Time will tell but...

It looks like certain tlds/extensions have been a particular target, .me, .biz etc which are often registered when .coms aren't available. May be someone would do an extensive research and come up with sem-reliable findings...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by infocraze View Post
    Two of my emds have also been slapped, waiting for new developments to see what happens next. An end to all emds may or may not be what they intend. While the majority of emds have been affected, it does seem like quite a few survived. Would they be next or are there certain things that they are doing right which those of us who have been affected should emulate? Time will tell but...

It looks like certain tlds/extensions have been a particular target, .me, .biz etc which are often registered when .coms aren't available. May be someone would do an extensive research and come up with sem-reliable findings...
    why should anyone do extensive research though? its case by case. what you need to understand is, its based on QUALITY on so many different levels, not just shit like .me and .biz. Do you really think they sit there and go "well for whatever reason, we dont likek .me EMD's, lets punish everyone". The algo they have used is a fair bit more complicated than that, and no matter how much research you do, your going to end up in the same spot.

Their quality algo for EMD's is whats evaluating whats being punished and what isnt. Unless you can find out what that exactly is, theres no point wasting any time on it.
    Web 2.0 Explosion - Hand Made Web 2.0 Creation on Sites Tools Don't Touch.

Jim
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Exactly, I'm not even sure it had anything to do with content either and definitely nothing to do with domain extensions.

if you want to test then do a couple of things - add more content to you hit site including articles that don't get keyword searches but are helpful or informative (like a freebie) or register a new domain, move your content, and 301 the old site then share your findings

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Also - people on Webmasterworld are reporting that something big happened to Image search at the same time, and one or two of them think another algo change was also released as some branded websites dropped (G's usual tactic of releasing multiple algos at once to confuse webmasters).
    Just to update on this: someone complaining about non-emd local seo to Matt Cutts got an admission from him that there were other algo updates rolled out at exactly the same time:

https://twitter.com/mattcutts/status/252484514486575104

How many algos we have no idea - just be careful to pinpoint exactly what you think has happened to your site before you decide strategy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

Smoke (10-03-2012)

Jim
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just to update on this: someone complaining about non-emd local seo to Matt Cutts got an admission from him that there were other algo updates rolled out at exactly the same time:

https://twitter.com/mattcutts/status/252484514486575104

How many algos we have no idea - just be careful to pinpoint exactly what you think has happened to your site before you decide strategy.
    That's exactly what I've been saying. I've been seeing some traffic slowly come back to some of my PMD sites. These sites had good quality content but not enough to miss the hit. If you've got a good name that's not 100% EMD and you feel its worthy of keeping, start pouring some more content to it and think on the level of user interaction.

What will get not only uniques but RETURNING visitors to your site and make them active there. If you start looking at your site in this mindset, it'll take on a whole new outlook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    you also have to realize that no matter what google says, they rolled out SEVERAL algo changes that day and didn't say anything

1. image searches got tweaked
    2. EMD
    3. intersecting keywords
    Agree Jim. One of my early (and fairly crappy) amazon review sites got nailed by Panda and was never seen again. I just left it running as it got some traffic from yahoo/bing.

The last few days it has been getting 15-20 visits a day from Google Image search which never happened before, so, they have changed something with the Images.

Thanks
    Another update: looks like there was a Panda refresh at the same time as the EMD update:

Google Panda Update 20 Released, 2.4% Of English Queries Impacted

It was a large Panda affecting 2.4% of searches (as opposed to the 0.6% they estimate were affected by EMD). And it wasn't just a data refresh on the Panda - they changed the Panda algo itself (i.e. this is a new iteration).

Here is the comment Google’s Matt Cutts sent us after asking about this update:

Google began rolling out a new update of Panda on Thursday, 9/27. This is actually a Panda algorithm update, not just a data update. A lot of the most-visible differences went live Thursday 9/27, but the full rollout is baking into our index and that process will continue for another 3-4 days or so. This update affects about 2.4% of English queries to a degree that a regular user might notice, with a smaller impact in other languages (0.5% in French and Spanish, for example).
    So mixed in we have; Panda on Sept 27th, EMD on Sept 28th, Image search on Sept 28th - and maybe something to do with local search as well? Note that the panda is still being rolled out.
    Last edited by Daisy; 10-03-2012 at 05:49 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

cma01 (10-03-2012)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Another update: looks like there was a Panda refresh at the same time as the EMD update:

Google Panda Update 20 Released, 2.4% Of English Queries Impacted

It was a large Panda affecting 2.4% of searches (as opposed to the 0.6% they estimate were affected by EMD). And it wasn't just a data refresh on the Panda - they changed the Panda algo itself (i.e. this is a new iteration).

So mixed in we have; Panda on Sept 27th, EMD on Sept 28th, Image search on Sept 28th - and maybe something to do with local search as well? Note that the panda is still being rolled out.

This is REALLY interesting. Makes you wonder if Panda 2.0 was responsible for minor movements (remove links attached to duplicate content that was removed) while the EMD algo change was responsible for major movements?

On a side note, the fact they waited days to make this clarification is again an example of their dishonesty. They claim they are making moves towards transparency but their behavior speaks louder than words. Sadly Cutts has the most public voice and yet remains the largest single deceiver.
    Current Tools Of The Trade
    Fightback Network - Private Blog Network With High PR Blogs
    Rankwyz - Builds Authority Web 2.0 Blogs <~~ Now With Free Blog Creation!
    Content Foundry
    - Content Scrape & Article Generator (better than Kontent Machine)

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast